Sam's family referred him to The Junction and Sam joined the short breaks program because he struggled to fit in with other children at school and at local activities. He also had some challenges with anger that he wanted to work on.
Here's how we helped:
- Friendly faces and fun activities: Sam started by coming on Saturdays, then built up the courage to join our Monday sessions too. We helped him meet other kids and enjoy fun activities together.
- Building trust and positive behaviour: Our staff got to know Sam well and encouraged good choices with positive reinforcement, like stickers and certificates. We also helped him manage his anger in healthy ways.
- One year later, a happier young person:After a year in our program, Sam looks forward to coming to group sessions! He’s made great friends, communicates better with his family, and even gets excited about going places without his parents.
What others are saying:
- “Sam’s family: ” We love that you offer both Saturday and Monday sessions. It gives us much-needed one-on-one time with his sibling.”
- “Sam’s parents “It’s amazing to see him so excited about going somewhere without us.”
Sam’s story shows how our short breaks program can help kids build confidence, make friends, and have fun!